The Defence Special Needs Support Group Inc was formed as a small group of Defence families were brought together by a common bond – they all had a family member with “special needs”. The families decided to help each other out with information and support, rather than going it alone.
The Defence Special Needs Support Group provides support, information, assistance and advocacy for all ADF families who have a dependant (child, spouse or other dependant) with special needs. In addition, the Defence Special Needs Support Group also offers the following services.
• Posting Plans designed to assist families to locate appropriate services ie therapy, early intervention, support groups, respite and more in their new location.
• National Parent-to-Parent Network links special needs families who are posted, to others with similar needs in the new location.
• Link Up links adults (usually spouses) with physical or medical special needs.
• Leaps N Bounds is a contact support group for those who have depression or other mental health problem.
• Access to Grants can assist families to obtain equipment or other particular requirements relating to the person with special needs.
• One of the Group is a program designed to assist children aged 7 – 10 who have social skill difficulties.
• Computers 4 Kids assists families to access new or second hand computers.
• Stepping Stones Playgroup is a structured playgroup for children with special needs and their siblings.
• Home2Hospital assists families where the person with special needs has to spend some time in a hospital far from their home.
• sibMates assists “at risk” children who have a brother or sister with special needs. It provides them with support via spending time with a volunteer Host Defence Family.
• Get Real Teen Group Program – activity based program for special needs teens and their siblings.
• Family and Emergency Care Plans – a specialised care plan which can assist in the event of emergencies
• Deployment, MWDU Support – support to families whilst the member is deployed or MWDU www.dsnsg.org.au